This photo comes from Gene Merlino (seated center, just left of the mike stand), who played in Camp Curry's dance hall band around 1947-49; he continues to have a successful career as a studio vocalist. The pianist, Bob Soder, went on to found the first public school jazz band programs in the nation. Note the addition of the back braces on the pedal-lyre, indicating that the piano had probably been rolled off the edge of the stage; these were still in place in 1983.
According to Merlino, the piano was moved to the outdoor amphitheater for musical programs there, including accompanying the singing of "Indian Love Call" during the Firefall, and moved back to the dance hall every night. It was in the amphitheater's back storage room that the piano was generally stored during the winter.
In 1968, when the Firefall was discontinued (due to the environmental impact of too many spectators), so too ended the nightly musical programs. Dudley Kendall (currently pianist at the Ahwahnee Hotel) was working at the Wawona Hotel as dining room manager, and it came to his attention that the abandoned piano was still in its storage room, where rainwater had been dripping into the keys and soundboard. With the blessing of Wawona manager Bill Wismer, Dudley, Steve Attardo (who later ran the Curry Co. garage) and some others borrowed a manure truck from the horse stables, rescued the piano, and in July, 1968, brought it to the Wawona Hotel.